Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dr. Scott


Today I started my "17 Alphahydroxy Progesterone" injections. Scott has to administer these to me once a week. He does a really good job, but is always nervous to stick his poor wife with a needle. He has a steady hand though and it doesn't even hurt. He is well on his way to a medical degree! I had these injections with Luke too, and it is to prevent preterm labor, although I didn't start them with Luke until after I had preterm labor. They are supposed to reduce the risk of going into preterm labor by 40%, which for me is significant enough to give it a go! We'll see how this medication actually does for me as a preventative medication, time will only tell. The only downside to these injections is that its a fairly new drug, and so isn't covered by insurance yet, and it doesn't run very cheap either. But we were lucky to find a pharmacy in the area who makes it, instead of having to pay top dollar for a huge pharmaceutical company to make it and ship it to me (this way we are saving about 90%). Everyone keep their fingers crossed that this will do the trick and I won't have to go through my usual pregnancy drama at all. I can only imagine!!

6 comments:

Marissa said...

WOW!! I can't believe they are starting you already. My OB is going to put me on it, but since my preterm labor never starts before 28 weeks we are waiting until 24 weeks.
Lots and lots of prayers that this does the trick.

Anonymous said...

glad I found you! Sorry you need those nasty shots.

Judy

janae said...

I'm so sorry you have to do that! What a blessing that you found a pharmacy near by that makes the medicine. We'll keep you in our prayers!

The Watson's... said...

oh, i hope they work. good luck!

Jami Jackson said...

OH, I wish you the best of luck! Anyone that has to be stuck with one of those needles once a week should have all their prayers answered.

Brett and Shendi said...

ouch! well glad scott is a steady hand.