Wednesday, October 31, 2012

1/2 Marathon



Mile 8.  Not too many other runners near me at this point.  I was in the last third of the pack.

I know it looks like I'm walking, but I promise I was running.  I was also trying to get the gummies out of their package that Scott had just handed to me.  I was starting to feel a little low on fuel by mile 8.
Running up the hill to the finish line.  Scott and the kids were also running to beat me there from the car.

Finished!!!  Time 2:34:57.
My goal for the year was to run another 10k, but I have some crazy runner friends at church that convinced me to sign up for the 1/2 Marathon.  I was already up to running 5 miles when I started to train, so it took me another 8 weeks to train.  I was really worried about the race, because I started to have knee and hip problems, but amazingly, I was able to run the whole race without have to stop and walk.  It was a slow pace, but I just kept going.  There were so many hills, and one of them was almost a mile long, and very steep.  Also, it rained during the whole thing!  I was soaked to the bone by the time I finished.  I was proud to finish and happy to say that I've run a 1/2 marathon.  We started the race in Oregon, ran across McNary Dam along the Columbia River over to Washington, ran a few miles on the highway and through a little town in Washington, crossed the bridge back over to Oregon, ran beside the river for a few miles, and then back to the start/finish line.  Scott and the kids drove to different spots along the way to cheer me on and give me snacks and gatorade.  It put a smile on my face each time I saw them, and gave me the energy to keep going.  The last mile was definitely the hardest.  At that point, it was a mental game to keep my body moving, because it just wanted to stop.  I got my last burst of energy when I spotted my family again at the end, and Max ran with me across the finish line.  I shed a good tear when it was all over. 
My cheering section and me.  I was so cold, wet, and sore.  I was glad that they had those aluminum blankets to keep me warm on the drive home.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so very proud of you Lindsey!!

jenn said...

That is so awesome Lindsey. I would have loved to do it with you...but I probably couldn't! High five!

DeAnne said...

Yay! I am happy for you :) I hope some day I can run another 1/2. I am so impressed that you didn't stop to walk. The only time I have EVER done that is when I ran my first 10K during my training for my first 1/2. My mental stamina isn't the greatest. Way to go :)

janae said...

I'm a little late, but I have to say, I am SOOO proud of you! You look so fantastic. I wish we were neighbors so we could run together!