Sunday, August 23, 2009

A runner?

I have never run before in my existence until last January when I joined the Pingel family's quest to race in the Freedom Run 5k. I was the girl in P.E. who walked the entire mile time test with her friends and gabbed the whole time taking about 16-17 minutes to walk a mile. I think I walk/ran it once in about 12 1/2 minutes because my P.E. teacher threatened to fail me on the mile if I didn't at least try. One time I can even remember training at my dance coach's house because I had missed a practice, and she took us on a run to get warmed up before we started, and I puked afterwards because it was more than I could handle. I couldn't stand running! It was way more effort than I ever wanted to give, and it felt like exercise, unlike dancing or playing basketball.

But now, after 3 kids, being in horrible shape, and probably 20 pounds heavier than I was in high school, I have taken up running...and I actually enjoy it! I am never super excited about starting a run, but the finish always makes me feel so accomplished and ready to take on the next challenge. I have now run in two 5k races, keeping a steady albeit slow pace, and was able to run the whole thing without stopping to walk. I am now looking forward to the next goal in mind: running a 10k by next summer. It will still take quite the effort since I am huffing and puffing to the finish line in the 5k, but if I actually train, I think I might be able to do it!

p.s. Scott has taken up running too, but it takes way less effort on his part, and I think he finished the 5k as I started on my 3rd mile. He's awesome! Its always nice to have the same interest and goals as your spouse...it makes goals so much easier to accomplish when you are both pushing each other to see it through.

2 comments:

Jami Jackson said...

I am so proud of you Lindsey! If you stick with it, you will LOVE it! I'm totally addicted to running (if you haven't noticed) so I know you will be too!

janae said...

Yeah, this was my story too! I started running when I was pregnant with Elijah (because my doctor told me to either start exercising or to count on only have two kids - a lot of things go wrong with me when I'm pregnant). Congrats on the 5K! If it makes you feel better, I run super slow. On my 1/2K I ran just over 14 mph. Yeah, SLOW. But who cares as long as your heart rate is up?!