Sunday, October 18, 2009

Washington is to apples, like Idaho is to potatoes


There is nothing like a Washington apple. When I lived in Utah, I would go to the grocery store and buy these little dinky apples, the size of the unmatured, unripened ones that would fall off the trees in Washington, and there would be a sticker on it saying it was from California! It was so sad! The apples in Washington are almost the size of grapefruits and are so delicious and fresh.

My mom and I decided to take advantage of the fall harvest season, and went to go get a box of apples from one of Kennewick's many orchards to make homemade applesauce. We got about 30 pounds of apples for $12. We also had other apples that we bought from someone's fundraiser, and another dozen of wonderful Honeycrisp apples that my mom got from someone at her school. All together we had about 45 pounds of apples. We only cooked about half of them, before my hands started to get pruned and blistered, and we were able to get 7 quarts of applesauce. Hopefully, we'll do the rest of the apples, but this time we'll can apple pie filling. I was so glad that my mom took on this project along with me so she could teach me how to can.

2 comments:

Jami Jackson said...

I love canning. It makes me feel like I've really accomplished something good. Applesauce=YUM!

Unknown said...

I picked apples from my uncle's tree here in UT to can into applesauce but have never canned apple pie filling...yummy!