Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thankful

I know there are many things to be unthankful for about unemployment, but I've decided to stretch myself and find all the things I am thankful for about unemployment and find those "tender mercies" that we've been given:

1. I've been able to build my teaching resume. I really do enjoy it, and I am even being pushed mentally to go back and get my math endorsement.

2. We are actually saving money! I guess that is what happens when you have income, but hardly any expenses, i.e. no rent (thanks mom and dad)!

3. I get to see my Scotty a ton, and so do the kids. We REALLY like that!

4. Our kids qualify for government programs, and because of this, Luke's dental surgery will be paid in full, and not from my pocket.

5. We still have Scott's AWESOME benefits package from Federal Way, and because of that, we will only have to pay a co-pay for any kind of medical care that we need.

6. We get to spend the holidays with family. It was great being able to go down to Utah for a week to see the Pingels for Thanksgiving, and I am very excited to have Christmas with my family for the first time in 3 years.

7. Scott gets to be apart of Easton's school experience, apart of his extracurricular activities, and take him on field trips. That probably won't happen often once he has full-time employment.

8. We got to see every member of our family this year, including living grandparents, because we had the time in the summer to tour around the western U.S.

9. I am becoming more humble through this experience, and more willing to do everything possible to make sure I am ready and worthy to recieve any blessings that might come my way.

10. And last, but not least, I am thankful that I get to see my faith grow and see how my Heavenly Father truly loves me and my family through this experience.

Don't get me wrong, this unemployment thing isn't easy, and I have moments when it is hard to see all the blessings that I have, but I'm glad that I can still remember everything that I've been given too. Its easy to see the rainbow after the rain stops, but its much harder to find the color and sunshine in the midst of the storm.

4 comments:

janae said...

Loved the list! Honestly, we have it good. I've watched people I love lose their businesses, start filing for bankruptcy, lose their homes, etc. Really, we're getting off easy. As hard as it is. :)

Original Ping Family said...

Love your attitude. Thanks for the good times!

Sarah said...

Great example of a good attitude. I can slightly relate as Brian is unemployed and going to school full time- life has changed a lot for us! I need to be more like you and look for the good. Loved that last paragraph.

Jami Jackson said...

What a positive list! I loved reading that. I'm glad you are finding some "sunshine" in your situation. Soon you'll see that rainbow . . .