Sunday, November 7, 2010

Nervous

The worst part about pregnancy for me (besides the throwing up, of course) is the needles!

I do not like to have my blood drawn. The poor nurses always have to use the butterfly pediatric needle, and I have had a few miserable experiences with the poking and then searching for the vein. The searching hurts, and it gives me the heebie jeebies. I always have to concentrate on taking big deep slow breaths, and I more often than not have to end up laying down, sipping juice, to get my color to come back.

I don't like IV's either. Giving blood is bad enough, but now having to keep a needle inserted into my arm/hand is the pits. I can't look at it. I usually cover it up with a towel or something, because I would faint if I saw the needle sitting under my few layers of skin. I have had a nurse blow a vein trying to insert an IV, and if you ask me, it hurts worse than natural labor. Well, at least it would hurt worse if the feeling lasted as long as natural labor does. It feels like someone literally took a hammer and whacked your hand with it. Not good at all. As soon as I give birth, my usual first question is "Can we take the IV out now?!"

And last, but not least, I don't like my progesterone shots. Regular shots I can actually handle just fine. These shots are not regular shots. Usually a shot is given with an extremely thin needle, and the nurse can administer it in about 5 seconds or less, depending upon the amount being injected. My progesterone shots are like shooting corn syrup into your skin. Even with Scott's strength, he is usually pressing down on the needle with all of his might to inject it, and it still takes about 30 seconds to go in. They are not fun. Plus, I usually get a sight reaction to them, leaving a warm itchy red bump on my bum. By the time it usually goes away, it is time for the next shot. Bummer!

At the end of this pregnancy, I am looking forward to a very long time without any needles.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

ouch! so sorry you have to go through all that. i hate needles too, although i'm better with them than i used to be. good luck!

The Watson's... said...

I'm fine with needles and IV's but your progesterone shots sound awful! Good luck this time around!

janae said...

I hate IVs like I hate very few things in this world. In fact, one of the perks of Enoch coming too fast and being natural was that I didn't have to get an IV. It's almost worth it! My mom told me once that during one of her hospital stays the nurses wouldn't take her IV out, but she knew she was fine, so she just yanked it out herself. They didn't dare put it back in. I'm so doing that next time. :)

Brett and Shendi said...

i am sorry. i had them lose a vein once and have to fish for it. i got really sick threw up then passed out. ugh!!! but normally i really don't have any problems with it. hope it flies by for you

Debra said...

I totally feel for you. I have to give myself injections twice a day. They suck!