Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ding Dong, the crib is gone! (almost)

Okay, I know, so the title doesn't exactly rhyme, but I was trying to be cute! Anyways, today I was on the phone with Erin during lunch time. During the conversation I put Luke in my room in his port-a-crib for his nap, and two seconds later I heard these little feet scampering down the hallway. "What!?" was my first thought! Then I thought I was crazy, thinking, maybe I didn't put him in his crib and with the distraction of being on the phone I just brought him into my room, but never put him in the crib. "Yes, I did!" was the second thought, followed by the very quick "Oh no!" last thought. Luke knows how to climb out of his crib! Easton was 2 when he learned and had already been sleeping in a big boy bed for about 6 months and only using the port-a-crib on vacations, so it really wasn't a big deal. But with only 2 bedrooms, and both of my boys take a nap at the same time, this isn't working out so well. So the decided solution is: #1 obviously we can't have Luke sleeping in port-a-crib in our room anymore for naps, so that means he has to use his real crib in his room (which he hasn't climbed out of yet, knock on wood), so #2 where does that leave Easton? Well, I think it might be time to say goodbye to the nap. I tried to get him to rest on my bed for his nap, which I knew wouldn't work, so then I put in a movie and let him hang on the couch thinking at least he'll be quiet so Luke can nap. Twenty minutes into the movie he was dead asleep (awesome!) So I've made a quick adjustment and maybe some days Easton will nap, and somedays he won't. I've been dreading this day for about a year. Don't get me wrong, I love my boys, but my 3 hour alone time everyday was priceless, and most days very much needed. I still haven't come to terms in my mind yet, though, about the fact that soon they will both be in "big boy beds" in the same room. That should make bedtime very interesting!

1 comment:

janae said...

oh, gosh, that is bad! I can't believe he can already climb out of the port-a-crib! My kids definitely could NOT nap together, so we had to make some major adjustments too. Seara hasn't taken regular afternoon naps in over a year now, but I do the movie thing during Elijah's nap so that I get at least a short break. Good luck with the adjustment!