Saturday, August 21, 2010

Kids are so smart.

Easton is a smart boy. And I think he knows he is smart. But I don't think he knows that he is spiritually smart. I was showing him a blog about a family who just had a perfect little baby, born without any arms or legs. He asked "Why does that baby not have any arms or legs?" I said "I don't know why." Then he said something very profound and it brought tears to my eyes. He said "Maybe because the mommy wanted a little baby without arms or legs."

Oh yes, my precious Easton, that mommy did want a baby without any arms or legs. It made me think about the things I must have known about my life before coming here to earth. That mother must have known that she would have to raise a baby with physical challenges. That tiny baby must have known that her life would be a little difficult because her body would not be whole. And yet, they chose this life, and they chose to face those trials. I must have known some of the challenges that I would face, and I am glad that I chose to go through them, no matter how hard they have been or will be.

I'm thankful that my children often remind me of my spiritual role here on earth, because it makes the physical role of being a mother much easier, and well worth it.

2 comments:

janae said...

That's about the sweetest - and saddest - thing I've ever heard.

Dad Toolson said...

Oh yes, our children often teach us some great and wise things. It wasn't that long ago they were in the presence of our heavenly father