Wednesday, May 26, 2010

All about Easton


Easton will be turning 5 in exactly one week from today. So I am devoting the next week to my darling Easton.

Easton was our miracle, and long-awaited, baby. After losing one child to premature labor, and then taking almost a year after that to get pregnant, we started to wonder if we were able to have children. Finally, it happened! We were excited that it was another boy, and we quickly chose his cute name Easton. At the time, it wasn't trendy, and it was a fairly uncommon name, and we thought it was extremely cute because of his Dad's love for baseball. We gave him the middle name Earl, after my grandfather who played professional baseball. Don't worry, we won't be disappointed if he hates baseball, it was more of a tribute to Scott, than a future hope that he would make us millions playing in the majors.

During his pregnancy I had an operation that we thought would help keep him baking until full term, but at 30 weeks, I was bed-ridden with preterm labor. At 33 weeks, he decided he had had enough, and after a week in the hospital trying to stop labor, he was born at about 3am on June 2nd. I'm glad that Scott made it back from Denny's in time for his birth. He wasn't breathing really well, so the nurses let me take a peek at him, and they rushed him up to the NICU. I didn't really get to meet my little Easton until 8 hours later after all the meds had worn off and I had gotten some rest.We ended up leaving the hospital without our baby, and each day was a roller coaster of emotions. It seemed like he would be getting better and off of another medication, and then the next day, he'd be a little worse, and hooked up to another tube or wire. Finally, 3 weeks later, he was healthy enough to come home. He had his cute little oxygen tubes and apnea/heart rate monitors still attached to him, and we looked pretty silly with all his gear when we would venture out into public.

It was such a blessing that Easton has progressed to be such a happy, healthy, and bright little boy after such a difficult time making it into this world. I love my Easton, and I would go through it all again if I had to, just to have my Easton with me in this life.

4 comments:

janae said...

I don't know that I've ever heard that story in one concise summary. I got bits and pieces here and there, but never the whole trauma and then the miracle. I'm so glad he's healthy and well!

Original Ping Family said...

Well, I am just sitting here at the computer crying my eyes out remembering those first days and weeks of Easton's life. Even when you headed out to W Virginia I was so worried about him still. He truly is a miracle! He is exceptionally bright and I am so glad we were able to spend time with him and his whole family. I love him so much!

Dad Toolson said...

Easton- I can't believe you will be five soon. You will always be my super hero

you are awesome

Dad Toolson said...

Easton- I can't believe you will be five soon. You will always be my super hero

you are awesome