Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dramatic Change

Moving to Hermiston, and Scott's new job, have all been harder adjustments than I thought. We went from seeing each other all the time, which isn't that great either when it is because of unemployment, to seeing each other hardly ever. I guess I didn't notice it too much when we lived with my parents, because one or both of them were home around 5pm, which gave me some company, and helped tame the children for the evening. But now that we have moved, there are too many 12-15 hour work days for me to count, and we don't even have callings in the ward yet! (Hopefully we get those wonderful "Sunday Only" callings.....one can dream, right?)

The other hard adjustment is the shopping. I have WalMart and.........well, thats it! We do have Safeway as another grocery store, but I am even missing my Albertson's and Fred Meyer specials and coupons. No Target, no Mall, no Kohl's, no Costco, no JoAnn's, and no "train store" aka Barnes and Noble. I didn't exactly spend my days at these places in Kennewick, but they were a nice retreat away from the kids to window shop at night, and if I ever needed anything, it was right there! Now, I have to make an ongoing list for when I'll be up in the big city, because it costs 1/4 tank of gas to get up to Tri-Cities and back, and I am way too cheap to get up there anything more than once a week.

I am sure it will all feel "normal" soon, and I'll get into my own new groove and get used to my surroundings, but it was just such a dramatic change, that it is hard to get my head wrapped around it still. And, yes, I know what you are all thinking...."She should be glad that he even has a job!".......and I definitely am!!! But I just wish I could've eased into it, instead of going from no job to an often 60-hour-a-week job. This City Manager thing is hard work! This all makes me really glad, though, that we didn't take the other job offer that Scott got: a city about as small as Stanfield (I can't even remember the name), 45 minutes EAST of Denver, with no other surrounding or connecting cities nearby, aka "no-man's land."

5 comments:

janae said...

I have been thinking about this a lot lately - how lonely it's going to be when I don't have my parents and brother around. Sam's not around much now anyway, so having them is really nice. I'm going to be so bored without people to entertain me once we move away!

The Oylers said...

Sounds familiar...Jake is still working 12-16 hour long days. But I am very grateful for his job. And welcome to the world of only having Walmart. Whenever I am in a town with a Target I have to go even if I don't need anything there...just because I miss it so much. Good luck adjusting..it takes time so don't worry if it doesn't happen over night.

Jami Jackson said...

Change has always been hard for me to swallow. Believe it or not, I'm still adjusting to our new home and ward here. I like things to stay the same but I've learned that's not the way life is and that's how we learn and grow. Good luck with your change! You'll do great!

Brett and Shendi said...

things are looking great. i am glad they have come together fast or not. still adjustments are never easy. it'll work out. ps the house looks great!

Sarah said...

oh i totally hear ya! moving is just hard. and all you can do it keep trying to make the best of it and give it time. for me it was like one day i realized that i was done "adjusting" and i know it was just time that got me there. callings, believe it or not, help a ton too. you just have to find your place in a community and that takes awhile. i'm sure you'll love it, but it's so hard at the beginning. and not having a target is no help at all! i would die!