Saturday, July 17, 2010

Bend, Oregon

Scott and I were able to enjoy our first vacation without the kids this last week. Scott had a conference in Bend, OR so I decided to come along with him. My wonderful mother took the kids for us. (Thanks, Mom!) It is such a cute place with lots of things to do. It is located in the Mt. Bachelor ski area, and right on the Deschutes River. Our first day there, we rented a deuce coupe and strolled it along the river in the historic Old Mill area (a mill that was converted into a shopping/eating plaza right on the river), then we ate dinner at Flatbread pizzeria. It was the most amazing pizza that I have ever tasted, so of course, I took a picture of this masterpiece. We also went to Eclipse that night.

The next two days, Scott was in meetings from 8-3, so I went shopping, worked out at the gym, and lounged by the pool. I had brought my scrapbook stuff with me, and a few books, but that was too much work. I didn't want to think at all on this vacation. I got a great tan! On Wednesday night, we went to the historic downtown area, and browsed by all the shops and then ate at Bend Burger Company. The best burger I ever had with a hand made patty, and homemade french fries to go with it. Maybe food just tastes a whole lot better when your kids aren't there to distract you from the flavor or the experience. After we ate, we drove up Pilot Butte, which stands in the middle of the valley. It is 1 mile up, but you can see for hundreds of miles in every direction, and it had a map at the top telling you which mountains you could see in the far off distance. It was beautiful!

On Thursday night, we ate at Anthony's on the river. Delicious seafood, and fabulous creme brulee. Then we saw Knight and Day. Don't believe the reviews, we thought it was really good. Just think Bourne Identity/Mission Impossible with a little comedy and cute romance thrown into the mix.

We were definitely sad to see our vacation end, and have to be parents again, but it was the perfect amount of away time. I just wished Scott could have been with me all day, instead of only at night, but I'm sure he was glad to miss out on all the shopping and pool-side sunbathing.

2 comments:

The Oylers said...

Sounds like lots of fun! You deserve it and way to go on the 10K...that is a goal of mine someday also.

Marissa said...

Color me SOOOOOO JEALOUS!